Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Fortune Telling

 
I recently submitted a book manuscript to a publisher. Now I wait. Oh, how I hate to wait.
So, I'm sitting in my place of meditation - the bathtub and I begin to think and pray. 
"Lord, I'd sure like to know if my book will be accepted."
Now, if I were writing this for a scene, it would go something like this:
"Yes, my daughter. Your book will be accepted. They will love it and it will launch you into a life of financial security."
I love it when G~d is a fortune teller. Makes life so much easier. And, of course, He never gives bad news, unless it comes from someone else.
"No, my daughter, your book is being used as the morning joke of the day and it will plunge you into deep depression when they tell you to keep your day job."

Anyone remember Johnny Carson's Amazing Carnac? He'd have a stack of envelopes, lay one on the side of his head, tear the envelope open, blow into it, state the answer that came to his mind and then read the question written on the card inside.

Back to my bathtub meditations.
"L~rd, I'd love it if You'd tell me if my book will be accepted." I wait.
"Loose meat sandwiches."
"Loose meat sandwiches?" Oh, yeah, that's what I'm making for dinner tonight.
I wait some more.
"The water just went off in the backyard."
Now, I'm sure I could come up with something spiritual but -
Lets face it, someone who's ADD has no business trying the "word from the L~rd" approach.

All this falderah and fiddle dee dee to say, I think we need to be so careful about accepting everything that comes out of our heads or mouths when we pray. 
There are times when I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that G~d has spoken to me. And it usually comes in sets. I read a scripture, then hear a sound bite, or someone will tell me something that confirms. It rarely comes alone. And if someone tells me something about my future, you best better believe I will wait for a confirmation.
Usually, when I ask for an answer about my future, or my life I get:
Trust in ADONAI with all your heart; do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him; then he will level your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6 (CJB)
or

Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze on what lies in front of you.  Level the path for your feet, let all your ways be properly prepared;
then deviate neither right nor left; and keep your foot far from evil.  Proverbs 4:25-27 (CJB)

No comments: